The word rosemary is derived from the Latin word for dew of the sea. It is said that Aphrodite was draped in rosemary when she emerged from the sea, which accounts for rosemary being associated with this goddess and, therefore, love. Rosemary has had culinary use for centuries and is very prevalent in Mediterranean cuisines. Rosemary is a good source of iron, calcium, and Vitamin B6.
Taste and Uses
The taste of rosemary is a cross between sage and lavender with a touch of ginger and camphor, sometimes described as peppery, warm, spicy, and resinous with a hint of bitterness. Full sprigs of rosemary will impart dramatic flavor and can be used by inserting them into the cavity or under the skin of poultry or fish so the flavor can seep into the meat while it is cooked; remove the sprigs before eating..
The flavor of rosemary strongest in its uncooked form. Add it fresh to get the full impact of flavor or cook it to decrease its prominence in a recipe. To use North Shore Living™ Rosemary snip the sprigs you need from the root ball, wash and pat dry. You can either use full sprig, mince the sprig and stem, or remove the leaves from the stem and mince. When substituting fresh herbs in a recipe calling for dry, one part dry is equal to three parts North Shore Living™. Try one of our recipes or simply pair it with some of the ingredients suggested below:
- Vegetables: asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, green beans, onion, peas, potato, and zucchini
- Seafood: halibut, trout, scallops, shrimp, trout, and white fish
- Meat and Poultry: chicken, ham, lamb, herring, steak, venison, turkey, and veal
- Soups and Sauces: beans such as white bean, butter, hearty vegetable, split pea, and tomato
- Dairy: cheese both strong and mellow, frittata, omelet, and soufflé
- Legumes and Grains: herbed breads, rolls, biscuits, foccacia bread, lentils, risotto, white beans or cannellini beans
- Fruit and Dessert: apple, apricot, fig, grape, pear, pineapple, plum,
- Herbs and Seasoning: bay leaf, mustard, parsley, sage, and thyme
where to buy