Oregano is widely used in Turkish, Palestinian, Syrian, Greek, Portuguese, Spanish, Latin American, and Italian cuisine. It is often associated closely with Italian cuisine and most people are familiar with it in its dried form. Using fresh oregano will give you a much more pronounced taste and can liven up a dish or take your sauce to the next level.
Taste and Uses
Oregano has a spicy and pungent flavor, similar to marjoram but not as sweet. This is a very bold herb and using it will make a dramatic impact in any recipe; a small amount goes a long way. Adding full sprigs of oregano to the cavity of poultry or fish can add subtle flavor while the meat is cooking.
The flavor of oregano is boldest in its uncooked form. Add it fresh to get the full impact of flavor or cook it to decrease its prominence in a recipe. To use North Shore Living® Oregano gently snip what you need from the root ball, wash and pat dry. Use full sprigs or finely mince the stem and leaves with a sharp kitchen knife, according to your recipe. When substituting fresh herbs in a recipe calling for dry, one part dry is equal to three parts North Shore Living®. Try one of our recipes or simply pair it with some of the ingredients suggested below:
- Vegetables: bell pepper, carrot, escarole, eggplant, fennel, mushroom, onion, potato, spinach, squash, tomato, zucchini
- Seafood: ahi tuna, anchovy, clams, crab, halibut, lobster, mackerel, mahi mahi, mussels, octopus, red snapper, salmon, scallops, sea bass, shrimp, sword fish
- Meat and Poultry: bacon, beef, chicken, duck, hamburger, lamb, pork, sausage, veal
- Soups and Sauces: black bean, hearty vegetable, minestrone, pea, tomato, tortilla soup, white bean
- Dairy: cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese, nacho cheese, sour cream, quiche, yogurt
- Legumes and Grains: beans, couscous, lentils, pasta, rice
- Fruit and Dessert: apple, apricot, avocado, grapefruit, lemon, mango, pear, pineapple
- Herbs and Seasoning: basil, cinnamon, cilantro, cumin seeds, dill, garlic, green onions, marjoram, mint, parsley
where to buy