Lime basil is another hybrid that is usually difficult to find, however, at North Shore we are able to bring it to you throughout the year since all North Shore Living™ are greenhouse grown. Lime basil has a strong lime scent that becomes especially noticeable once it is minced or chopped. The peppery-lime taste is a wonderful complement to many savory dishes and can lend a more sophisticated flavor profile when used in place of sweet basil.
Taste and Uses
North Shore Living™ Lime Basil has a distinct lime scent and flavor. Use Lime Basil in stir fry, fish and poultry dishes, where the fresh citrus flavor can come through. Lime Basil matches well with tomato-flavored dishes, pasta sauces, vegetables, especially beans, peppers, and eggplants, along with soups and stuffing for duck.
Lime basil should be used fresh and added during the last moments of cooking. Over cooking basil is not recommended as heat quickly dissipates the flavor. To use North Shore Living™ Lime Basil snip the amount you need from the root ball then wash and pat dry. Incorporate the whole leaf or mince finely with a sharp kitchen knife, depending on your recipe. When substituting fresh herbs in a recipe calling for dry, one part dry is equal to three parts North Shore Living™. Try one of our recipes or simply pair it with some of the ingredients suggested below:
- Vegetables: zucchini, corn, bell pepper, tomato, green beans, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, eggplant, squash, spinach, artichoke, fennel, onion, potato
- Seafood: lobster, shrimp, crab, red snapper, salmon (fresh and smoked), grouper, tuna
- Meat and Poultry: chicken, turkey, beef, veal, lamb, sausage
- Soups and Sauces: corn chowder, tomato, minestrone, vegetable soup, béchamel
- Dairy: egg dishes, ricotta, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, bleu cheese, goat cheese
- Legumes and Grains: tabouleh, polenta, cannellini beans, rice (all varieties), couscous, all pasta
- Fruit and Dessert: watermelon, pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew, apple, peach, nectarine, pear, figs
- Herbs and Seasoning: lemon, lime, mint, oregano, chili, garlic, chives, ginger, capers, curry, coconut milk
where to buy