Lemon basil is a hybrid between basil and African basil. It is primarily grown in northeastern Africa and southern Asia. However, North Shore Living® utilizes the latest European greenhouse technology, enabling us to make it available to you year-round. Lemon basil is known for its distinct lemon aroma that is especially pungent once it is minced or cooked.
Taste and Uses
Lemon basil is mild enough to flavor grilled fish or shrimp and can be substituted for basil if you are looking for a fresh twist of flavor. Finely chop and add it to pasta with julienne vegetables and a flavorful extra virgin olive oil for a light and delicious meal. Cooking with lemon basil is fun and easy, as there are no rules—just add to any of your favorite recipes. Lemon basil is often used in Indonesian and Thai Cuisines.
Lemon basil should be used fresh and added during the last moments of cooking. Overcooking basil is not recommended as heat quickly dissipates the flavor. To use North Shore Living® Lemon Basil snip the amount you need from the root ball then wash and pat dry. Incorporate the whole leaf or mince finely with a sharp kitchen knife, depending on your recipe. When substituting fresh herbs in a recipe calling for dry, one part dry is equal to three parts North Shore Living®. Try one of our recipes or simply pair it with some of the ingredients suggested below:
- Vegetables: zucchini, corn, bell pepper, tomato, green beans, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, eggplant, squash, spinach, artichoke, fennel, onion, potato
- Seafood: lobster, shrimp, crab, red snapper, salmon (fresh and smoked), grouper, tuna
- Meat and Poultry: chicken, turkey, beef, veal, lamb, sausage
- Soups and Sauces: corn chowder, tomato, minestrone, vegetable soup, béchamel
- Dairy: egg dishes, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, bleu cheese, goat cheese
- Legumes and Grains: tabbouleh, polenta, cannellini beans, rice (all varieties), couscous, all pasta
- Fruit and Dessert: watermelon, pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew, apple, peach, nectarine, pear, figs, lemon, lime
- Herbs and Seasoning: mint, oregano, chili, garlic, chives, ginger, capers, curry, coconut milk
where to buy